Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Updated Cakeball Instructions

Below are the instructions that I typed out for friends in an email with my own little tips thrown in :-)

Bake a cake according to instructions (I just buy the boxed variety).  After baking the cake, put on a cooling rack.  I usually cut the cake into four to help it cool down a little faster.  Let cool for 10 minutes or so.

Place a can of frosting in a stand mixer along with the cake and mix until the frosting is evenly distributed.

Spoon out the mixture and roll into balls (I use a small cookie scoop to keep them even... this also allows me to make about 50 cakeballs per cake). 

Freeze the balls for at least 12 hours.  Anything less and they'll come apart when you dip them.


To coat the cake balls...
Melt chocolate (I use a Wilton Chocolate Pro... keeps the chocolate melted so I don't have to keep remelting).  If the chocolate seems thick, use vegetable oil to thin (try a teaspoon at a time until you get the right consistency).  Here is the tricky part... some people use sticks to dip the balls into the chocolate.  I use a cheap plastic dipping fork and spoon to coat the balls.  Lay the balls on wax paper or foil to harden. 

When finished, I like to put them in small baking cups to serve.  Refrigerate until ready to serve. 



Variations....
When I make them I coat them in either white chocolate or semisweet chocolate.  I use the Ghiradelli chocolate chips.  Some people use the baking chips that you can get places but I think it has a richer flavor if it is actual chocolate or white chocolate.

Flavors I've tried that are a hit... red velvet, strawberry, and orange cake (white cake with orange food flavoring)

No comments: