Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Night Circus Themed Book Club Party

While I was at home on maternity leave for my second child, I had a hard time reading a book.  Between watching my toddler run around and get into EVERYTHING and the constant feeding and holding of the newborn, I just had a hard time committing myself to anything for a while.  However... there was one book that I did manage to read and it was Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.  It truly captured my imagination and I found a lot of inspiration from it.  As a result, I started my first ever book club and hosted a dinner at my house.  Below are pictures of some of the things that I did to stick with the theme of a black and white circus (with red splashes for the circus enthusiasts).
Cookies that I made using a cookie cutter from fancyflours.com

Posted from a previous blog post... here is how I make the cookies.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sugar-cookies-recipe/index.html  If you follow these directions, the dough is a little dry so I add in one extra tablespoon of milk.  For the icing recipe, I use this website: http://www.christmas-cookies.com/recipes/recipe288.powdered-sugar-icing-i.html    For this recipe, I put just a little more water and a little more vanilla extract (I actually use the french vanilla flavor). I do that just so I can spread it easier.

Candy jars accented with black and white ribbon.

Favor boxes (containing circus cookies and white chocolate covered oreos).  The tags are chalkboard tags with red tulle.

No comments: